Friday, April 3, 2009

Jumping Again


Well, I don't know what to say about this one except I'm glad it's done. I was excited to continue with the jumping idea, but this canvas was bigger than I'm used to working with so it seemed like there was too much space to fill. For some reason I have a really hard time just quitting a piece and starting on something new so I just kept sinking more time into it without really improving it. I guess I learned that sometimes it's best to just call it done and move on.

2 comments:

A.Decker said...

The figures look really natural. I'd say the life class paid off. And the way you filled the space here...well, it makes me kinda dizzy, a very 'jumping' sensation indeed.
And you know what Picasso said about finishing a piece, right? It was something like: Paintings are never finished. Thet just have to be abandoned at some point.
But here's a good rule of thumb(regretably, I can't remember where I heard it): When you can no longer see where to place a single stroke that you know will improve the painting, stop right there.
And, I might add, from personal experience, if you put the piece out of sight for a few days, do something else, then see it again with 'fresh' eyes, you can better judge about that improving stroke.

Anyway, Dani, I see improvements in your work. Please keep going!

Dani Brandimarte said...

Thanks for the thoughtful comments and encouragement, A. I'm glad you're still stopping by despite my lack of posts! I'm hoping to have something new in about a week. Off to check out what you've been doing!