Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jumping In



I started this painting around the holidays and kind of abandoned it to concentrate on my figure painting class. I really hate to waste paint though, so I started using what's left over on my palette from class to finish this one.
This is my cousin's wife Audrey (hi Audrey! I hope you like it!) jumping off a large rock in Leakey, Tx. I started to try to paint the rock and foilage but quickly realized A) that's a whole different world of painting and I'm not sure if I could pull it off and B) it's not really something I want to paint anyway. I feel like I've recently abandoned my abstract ways to become more of a realist and this way I can combine both worlds. I also like that it's more symbolic of what it feels like to jump into something.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great painting! The title is perfect and it captures Audrey's willingness to jump right into a new adventure. No need to paint the background of the rock and the trees, as it is the hanging out in space that expresses the adventure & the exhileration prior to the plunge.

Aunt Susi

josara said...

WOW!! I don't know what else to say. Your paintings amaze me.

Anonymous said...

Too cute. I love it! You really did capture the feel of "jumping in." For any one who's ever done it, it's bound to bring back memories. It did for me. MOM

Carol Marine said...

Wow, Dani! I recognized my sister right off. You are really getting so much better all the time. I am really impressed.

Dani Brandimarte said...

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll do another one of these when my class is over. It was such a memorable time and I really like the falling/jumping image.