Wednesday, August 29, 2007

She Sang in Spain

Lessons I Learned From This Painting:

1) If you're starting something new, start simple. For example, if you are just starting out painting from photos, don't pick a picture with a gajillion people in it thinking it will be "fun".
2) If you are going to paint from a photo with a gajillion people in it, be prepared to spend a lot of time and paint on it.
3) It's hard to paint your mother and I didn't capture her like I wish I could.
4) You don't have to be super happy with all your paintings, sometimes it's just time to move on to something else. This one was hard for me but I couldn't spend another day on it without pulling out my hair.
5) I have a lot more of these lessons to go and a long way to go as an artist.

On to something much simpler!

3 comments:

dori said...

I really like the background people and the dress. I would like to see you try Mom again, maybe a different picture.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I actually titled one of my posts "Keeping it Simple." because I can't.
I enjoyed looking at your dynamic portraits.

Dani Brandimarte said...

Mary, ha! It's funny you should make this comment right now because I'm finishing up another complicated painting like this one and I think I'll be "keeping it simple" for a while!